Background & Challenge
The Renewable Fuels Assurance Scheme is an initiative designed and managed by Zemo Partnership that aims to give fleet operators independent assurance of purchasing sustainable, low carbon fuels approved under the RTFO, and customer supply chain specific GHG emission performance data. The scheme is open to all UK suppliers of renewable fuels including those that supply blends of renewable fuels. Companies are required to apply to Zemo Partnership to become an approved Renewable Fuel Supplier and demonstrate compliance with the scheme performance criteria and undergo an annual compliance check. This entails independent verification of company procedures, processes and renewable fuel production data by an auditor.
Once approved renewable fuel supplier will be able to issue their customers with ‘Renewable Fuel Declarations’ every three months for batches of sustainable low carbon fuels sold. The declaration will identify the carbon intensity and GHG emissions savings specific to the renewable fuel supply chain as well as information on feedstocks.
- Raise awareness and confidence in the GHG emission savings and sustainability performance of renewable fuels sold to fleet operators to stimulate wider adoption
- Enable fleet operators to receive more representative GHG emissions data for Company Carbon Reporting, specific to their renewable fuel supply chain
- Add value to the DfT RTFO scheme by providing traceability of verified renewable fuel to the end customer.
Actions & Outputs
- Design a Renewable Fuels Assurance Scheme and run a pilot scheme with Zemo Partnership members to explore how the scheme could be implemented.
- Prepare documentation relevant to the Renewable Fuels Assurance Scheme
- Launch the Renewable Fuels Assurance Scheme